Monday, October 5, 2009



Who will be the first one up in space? Not Mrs. Powell that is for sure!!
Thank you Mrs. Thompson for sending me the pictures.
We had a really great Monday. Mrs. Grissom visited with us all morning during reading. We now have smart board lessons ready for reading at McBride. All the third grade teachers have been working really hard on these. I bet you didn't know that teachers have to go to class too.
Smart Board keeps students interest because it can be so interactive. I don't have an actual smart board yet. I didn't win the draw. Maybe next time. We just use the white board and the mouse.
We are really getting into multiplication. Students are learning that multiplication is a quick way to add equal groups of things. Until we memorize our facts we can find the product, or the answer to our multiplication sentence by skip counting. Example: If I have 3 cars and each car has 4 tires I can skip count by 4 3 times. 4, 8, 12. 12 i tires is my answer. We can also use repeated addition. Example: 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 tires in all. 3 x 4 = 12 The first number in the sentence is the number of groups, the second number is the number in each group. Students are doing fantastic. We will work on this for 2 more days and take a little quiz on Wednesday.
Have a great week. I can't believe it is going to rain again all week. Let's pray for sunshine.
M. Powell

No comments: