Monday, September 21, 2009

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day. I guess you'd say, what can make me feel this way. My STUDENTS!!

We had a great day. Chase is sitting in the Caribbean in this picture. I can't be there, but I sure can wish!! I am ready for some sunshine!!

I have a picture of the students with the peace pinwheels I am waiting on. As soon as it gets to me I will post it.

In reading today we talked about character traits. How can we know what a character is like that we are reading about. (By what they say and do) Recognizing character traits helps us to have a better understanding of our reading. In math we practiced estimating sums. When is it OK to estimate? When we do not have to have an exact number. We use estimating a lot when we go shopping. Can you think of other times in real life when we need to estimate? We can estimate two numbers and add them together. Sometimes in math class we will have questions such as estimate to the nearest 10 and nearest 100. It will really mess us up if we do not read the question carefully. Sometimes it does not matter. In this case we can use front end estimation. 140 + 260 = 300 (Just use the front numbers) This is not a very good way to estimate because it could get us waaaaay off. We talked about compatible numbers. 234 + 292 (200 + 300) + 500. What numbers look good and close that are either nearest 10 or 100 if the question does not stipulate. In science today we made fossils. We learned about three kinds of fossils: molds, casts, and imprints. Ask your student to tell you how we made a mold and a cast. What kind of rock do we find fossils in? How do fossils form? Are fossils better preserved if covered up quickly or slowly? Plants mostly make imprints. Animals footprints are also imprints. Study those study guides for the science test on Thursday. Have a great day! I'm off to read The Flat Belly Diet. I am determined. (for the 100th time)
M. Powell

No comments: